Topic: Main .htaccess Not Writable

Hi. I'm new to both Monstra and the world of coding.

There is a previous thread on the issue (i.e., http://forum.monstra.org/topic/33/insta … ng-mamp/), but I think that the instant problem might require a different solution.

I downloaded the Monstra .zip from the homepage, changed the UNIX Equivalent to '770' as specified in the documentation, and put the files onto the server.

However, I noticed that there was not a main .htaccess file. Several .htaccess files were wedged into the smaller sub-folders. I didn't touch them.

All of the checks during the installation process cleared except for the last one ("Main .htaccess not writable").

Should I ignore it, and install Monstra? Or, alternatively, how can I fix it?

Re: Main .htaccess Not Writable

http://monstra.org/documentation/installation

Monstra Loves You! Give some love back!

Yes, but I do not see a main .htaccess file in the original .zip file.

NewUser wrote:

Yes, but I do not see a main .htaccess file in the original .zip file.

http://i.minus.com/ibtdOAopjAP1m5.png

Monstra Loves You! Give some love back!

Thanks, Awilum. I figured out the problem.

On the default configuration of Mac OS X, the .htaccess file is not visible in the folder.

To all new Mac OSX users, any files that are hidden system files, including those like the ".htaccess" file that begin with a period ("."), are not viewable in Finder under normal viewing.  These files are hidden from the Finder user's view as most users should not modify or delete such files.

The problem will manifest when you try to copy the Monstra files from one directory folder to another.  Only the files that are visible will be copied.

To copy the .htaccess file over to your working directory, do the following:

1. Start a new instance of your terminal. This is stored in the /Applications/Utilities directory.
2. When you launch your terminal, you will see the BASH line command utility and it will normally default to your home directory.  This is the directory using your name, for example /Users/FirstName_LastName.
3. Change to your Downloads directory, where the downloaded files are for Monstra. Do this by typing "cd Downloads".
4. In that directory, your should see the folder that contains the newly downloaded Monstra files in a directory named something like "monster_3.0.1".  To find that directory, type "ls -la" in your terminal.
5. Change location to that directory by typing "cd " substituting the with the real value such as "cd monster_3.0.1"
6. Verify the ".htaccess" file exists in that directory by typing "ls -la". Note: you may have to scroll up to find it as the files will normally list in alphabetical order.
7. You need to copy this file over to where the other files are located. In my case, I use MAMP for serving PHP so I needed to copy them over to the "/Applications/MAMP/htdocs" directory.
8. To copy the .htaccess file over, type the following in your terminal:

"cp .htaccess /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/.htaccess"

9. This should copy the file over to that directory.  Type the following to check in your terminal "cd /Applications/MAMP/htdocs"

The last thing to do is to change the permissions on the .htaccess file. This is done using the following command in your terminal:

"sudo chmod 755 .htaccess"

To verify the permissions, type in "ls -la" again in the /Applications/MAMP/htdocs directory with your terminal.  You should see a group of "XRW" characters in front of the file name. It should appear as such:

-rwxr-xr-x@  1 yourname  admin    847  8 Sep 13:34 .htaccess

If you used the numbers "777" for your chmod directive, it will appear as follows:

-rwxrwxrwx@  1 duanenickull  admin    847  8 Sep 13:34 .htaccess

That is all you need to do.